Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lilac Soap!

I absolutely luurve the smell of lilacs. There was a very large lilac bush next to the kitchen window in the house that I gew up in, and I always remember looking forward to when it would bloom. I found a lilac fragrance oil one night while absent mindedly surfing through BrambleBerry.com, and I just had to have it.

If I was going to make lilac soap, however, I wanted it to be purple. It's kind of hard to make purple soap since the base oils used to make soap are often very yellow. Yellow and purple make brown. I did not want brown soap.

Enter Cellini Blue Mica!!


Since I used a floral frangrance oil, which usually have a tendency to speed up the soap making process, I mixed my mica into my oils before adding my lye. I didn't want to over-mix my raw soap and end up with a thick, gloppy mess. I've been there. It's not a fun place to be. Micas are mined from the earth and cut and polished to shimmer and shine. Mineral make-ups are made with micas. This blue is lip safe, which means I can use it to color lip balms and lip sticks if I were so inclined. I can also make some awesome electric blue eye shadow with the right ingredients. But for now, I'll stick to the soap.

Blue mica makes purple soap? Well, this mica does. It morphs the raw soap into a glorious pink color:

Then, as the soap saponifies, it turns purple. This soap is in gel phase and it's starting to turn purple!


This is what it looked like when I got home from work:  a glorious deep, translucent-looking purple that smells absolutely divine!


Now to just wait six weeks to use it . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment